Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Rainy Day Chicken Soup

Here's recipe for one of my all-time favorite chicken soup.  I call it rainy day chicken soup because I really like to make this soup on a cold or rainy day.  If you try this soup please leave me a comment and let me know how you like it.

Ingredients:
4 chicken thighs
3 carrots, sliced into bite size
3 celery, sliced
1 onion, medium diced
1 chayote squash, cut into bite size
1 bunch fresh green beans, trimmed
2 bouillon cubes
cilantro
salt, to taste, I used about 1 tablespoon or less
minced garlic, 1 rounded tablespoon
dried oregano leaves
cumin powder ground

Preparation:
Place 4 chicken thighs in large 5 quart pot.  Cover with water.  Bring to boil, add dash of salt, then cook about 30 minutes.  While water is coming to boil, cut the veggies.  After the chicken has cooked 25-30 minutes, I add the chopped veggies-only carrot, celery and onion (I used about 3/4 of the onion here) at this time because they're hard and need more cooking time.  I also add my seasonings at this time.  I used 2 cubes of chicken bouillon,1 rounded tablespoon of minced garlic,  about 1 tablespoon of cumin and 2 tablespoons of dried oregano leaves.  Let them cook about 15 minutes.  Then, I add the green beans, chayote squash,plus  half a bunch of cilantro, and let them cook another 10-15 minutes or so.  So, total cooking time is 55 minutes to an hour because I want to make sure the chicken cooks and is not pink inside!   I served with diced onion and cilantro on top for extra flavor and added zing.  Then it was very delicious with a side of cooked, mixed grain rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment